Wednesday, March 9, 2011

HARRISBURG, PENNSYLVANIA

Today is Ash Wednesday, and the Box and I duly went downtown to attend a service at Messiah Lutheran Church. There was a service at Market Square Church, too, where I am a member, but friends had told me about the service they would be attending, so I invited myself along.

It was cold and rainy when I pulled up opposite the church and parked in front of the state's Keystone Building. Crossing the four-lane street was, shall we say, exciting. I found my way inside and met up with friend Guy from St. Michael Church, where Susanne and I used to belong. He led me to a pew where his partner Lindsay was already seated, with Guy's sister Kim and her daughter Annie.

Shortly, the service started, clergy-heavy as usual. The choir sang, the ashes (made from last Palm Sunday's burned palms) were marked on our foreheads, the sermon was preached, and then the Eucharist was celebrated.

Afterwards, it was fun to see some of the old Lutherans I have known over the years -- some from Messiah, former members of my choir at Christ Lutheran Church in the city, and others from St. Michael.

It was raining again when I left, but the drive home was uneventful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here.