Saturday, March 19, 2011

COLONIAL PARK AND LEMOYNE, PENNSYLVANIA

A vintage cabinet rides home in the Box.
Can you believe it? The Box has done something interesting for three days in a row! Actually, we all do interesting things every day. We just don't look around enough or view what we do as special!

Well, today was made special by my second visit to see Steve Zeigler, a friend of one of the guys who built our back porch, who works in a landscaping business and on the side operates a company called "Architecturally Speaking." Steve is a graduate of Central Dauphin schools, but Susanne did not have the pleasure of his company in her classroom, as he went to the one of the "other" junior highs.

Steve Zeigler, picker
Steve saves bits and pieces, large and small, from buildings that are being demolished. He has a warehouse and stockyard full of stuff in Colonial Park and has a retail outlet in the Antiques Marketplace at 415 Bosler Avenue in Lemoyne. It's a small space but loaded with interesting items to use in your house and garden.We went to the warehouse today by making an appointment.

I had been considering an antique pedestal sink for our bathroom make-over, but most of them are way too short for me. People must have knelt in front of them in the 20s and 30s, or else the ones Steve has come across were made for pygmies. At any rate, I had to pass that by, but there was a great old wooden medicine cabinet that would add storage on the wall to the left of the vanity. It's got a nice white antiqued appearance now, but I will probably decide to paint it black, like I am going to paint the vanity. Today in a home center, I saw a new medicine cabinet made out of pressed board at more than two and a half times the price! And my re-cycled cabinet fit just right into the back of the Box.

    Schoolhouse light   
Searching online, I found a ceiling fixture reminiscent of what you'd see in an old school room, but on a much smaller scale. Today, Steve had one just the right size and shape, and just needing some new wiring. All for twenty bucks, not the $150 or so on the website. All I have to do it clean it up and paint the fixture part and wash the white glass globe.

Click to enlarge and
look closely.
I'll tell you, there was plenty more there that was tempting. We saw bird houses Steve made out of old barn wood and decorated with old car parts, door bells, and goodies; candlesticks and mirrors made from auto gears; wooden columns, iron fences, vintage signs, shutters, pews and other religious items.

I took a lot of pictures because I plan to contact a regional news magazine and offer them an article on Steve and his great stuff. I'll post some of them here.

If you ever need something interesting or funky, something old you'd like to rescue, or something you'd want to incorporate into your home, you should stop at "Architecturally Speaking" at the Antiques Marketplace or call Steve and ask if he has what you want. He can also keep an eye out for you when he is out "picking."

Stephen Zeigler
717.903.6329
Steviezeee@hotmail.com

 Candlesticks made from gear parts.

A mirror made from a pipe mold.
(or sumpthin' like that).

Steve shows Susanne some tin
decoration from a building façade
that he makes into wall decorations.

Columns and stained glass =
instant church!

Your own cloister!

His and her wheelchairs. Hmm,
maybe we should buy ahead.

Wait until I show up with this at the 
worship committee meeting at the
Presbyterian church. It's a taberbacle
for reserving the transubstantiated host.

A cast iron and bronze fireplace from
downtown Harrisburg. It's diminutive
and really in great shape.

A neat old low wagon from a factory. 
People use them as coffee tables.

Columns, posts, and bathtubs galore.

Iron fences and gates abound. Garden art!

I love the green color on these quarter-moon
shutters. I saw others today with the traditional
candlestick cut-out. 

Sunday, March 20
The Box got primo parking.


Today after church, my sister Rachel and I went over to the West Shore for a quick bite at the home of the Whopper. Mostly we wanted to see if the cashier could charge us correctly this time for a simple hamburger from the dollar menu. I even laid a finger on the menu hanging on the wall beside the register with the item and its price. Neither Rachel or I got the correct price the first time. I finally suggested to the young man that he have the supervisor clear the order and start over.

Anyway, immediately after our noontime repast, we high-tailed it down the street to the Antiques Marketplace mentioned above in yesterday's entry. You know me, ever since I wrote that entry, I have been wishing I had a photo of "Architecturally Speaking." So, since the church is just across the river, I figured it was the most economical time to stop.

I want this chandelier!
Rachel and I were ogling yet more treasures when in walked Steve Zeigler with his cart full of goodies, including several highlighted above. So instead of one photo to represent his shop, I offer here several, starring Steve, Rachel, and me! 

Several vendors and customers came in right behind Steve, drawn like bees to honey, but he continued moving and re-arranging the whole time. When I left the building (please, don't call me Elvis), I stopped to see how he was doing. He was doing very well, indeed.




Welcome to "Architecturally Speaking."
"Is there room for this?" Steve asks.

"I think it would fit over here," Rachel replies.

 "No, no, this is a much better spot,"
John insists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here.