Friday, November 11, 2011

MANHEIM AND LITITZ, LANCASTER COUNTY, AND HUMMELSTOWN, DAUPHIN COUNTY

Earlier this week, Susanne and I decided we were feeling a little bit of cabin fever, so we set out for Lancaster County, one of our favorite haunts. I guess I should not be revealing this, because I always champion the attractions of Dauphin County since I am on the board of the county historical society. At any rate, the sky was clear and the temperatures were perfect. We were even able to leave our coats in the car and enjoy wandering around Root's Market near Manheim.

A quick loop around 81/83 brought us to Pa. 283, and we headed south toward Lancaster. We left the highway and then listened to the lady on our dashboard tell us how to get to the market. She gave us a circuitous route, but a very scenic one. Susanne took this picture of the one of the roadsigns, being enchanted by the name Spooky Nook.



One of the high points of the route was coming across this covered bridge. Have you ever driven through one? Click here and cross it with us. The 'beep beep' is the dashboard lady getting ready to tell us to turn left. Once we arrived at the market, we searched for a parking spot among the hundreds of car and finally landed one reasonably close.


One of the first things to catch my eye were these candy apples. When I was a kid, you could get only apples covered in that shiny red sugar coating. Now, you can find them covered in all sorts of things! I have a vivid memory of walking five or six l-o-o-o-ng city blocks from our house to Maclay Street, where a woman sold "candy apples" through the window on the side of her house. The first drive though, perhaps!

This bunch of radishes appealed to me because of its beautiful colors and forms. I would never eat one, though.

One stand had bucket after bucket of various sizes, shapes, and variations of pickles. I took this picture for my grandson Cole, who has just discovered pickles and really likes them. (He's the kid that used to ask for broccoli as a snack!) He discovered pickles the other day in the supermarket. Someone had dropped a jar on the floor, and as Cole and his mom and sister approached the aisle, Cole asked what that wonderful smell was. Pickles! I wouldn't eat one of those, either.

This picture needs no explanation. You all know, dear readers, that the whoopie pie must be included in this blog wherever it is encountered. And so, here it is. Note that this is the 'original' item, the real thing, not some goofy cookie with raspberry mousse inside!

Soon we felt hunger pangs and found a "plain" boy and girl selling food, including these nice plump hot dogs. I've always been mesmerized by hot dogs rotating under heat, so I watch them for awhile and then chose one. We both added onions and ketchup, so naturally I wore a drop of ketchup the rest of the day.

Next we went to see the outside stands, where Susanne bought some new potatoes. The sunlight was shining on all of the fruits and vegetables, making them all even more luscious-looking.

Aren't these locally-grown apples pretty to look at?

The man is this picture works at the bakery stand where the most -- and best -- whoopie pies are on display. He and his wife were leaving with their two children. I know he does not like being photographed, so I tried to be respectful and took pictures when they turned away.

Their older child walked on her own behind them as they headed away from the market. We walked in the same direction for a while and then came across a table of dancing flowers.


I was thinking of buying this discreet and tasteful lamp for my daughter Sarah's living room. It will fit in with all the other Steelers junk. I could get a Ravens one for Matt, too! (I'd better confirm here that Sarah has no 'Stiller' junk in her nicely decorated salon.)


Instead of buying this little flower arrangement-in-a-pumpkin, I showed it to Susanne and saved $10.00.


Pickles for Cole and repetition of forms for me at an Amish-owned condiment stand.

I bought Sarah a chocolate shoo-fly pie from this stand. (Hey, they even marked the shelf for the occasion! Click to enlarge.) Sarah is the envy of all her Fedex friends who have had samples of the great Pennsylvania Dutch foods we bring when we visit in New Brighton. In return, we enjoy things like Oram's donuts, Brighton Shoppe hot dogs, and Hank's frozen custard.

Done shopping, we drive through open country to Lititz, an 18th century town established by Moravian settlers from Germany. We love this town, and you have seen it before on this blog. We pulled up to our favorite shop, but it was closed!


These two original buildings are so picturesque and beautifully maintained. One is a museum.

We drove through "God's Acre," the Moravian cemetery behind the church. The scripture on the arch declares, "I am the Resurrection and the Life."

Doing a little shunpiking, we took back roads toward Cornwall in Lebanon County, passing this sturdy 18th century brownstone in a small settlement not far from Lititz.

This was the scene along US 322 as we awaited our turn in one-lane traffic.

Since we enjoyed our previous visit to a 50s-style diner in Hummelstown, we stopped there on our way home. The shiny crimped metal siding on the outside of the diner reflected golden leaves on a tree across the street.
Pink and black, as shown on this sparkling vinyl seat covering, was the prevalent color combination in the diner.

The floor was a crisp black and white check.


I know you love looking at food, so I took a picture of everything we ate! Here's some creamy cole slaw.

I had shepherd's pie. I have not had it since college days, and this compared favorably to my memories of it.

 Susanne had some fries with her gyro, shown below.



On our way back to the house, we crossed the Swatara Creek at Hummelstown. This is a huge clump of tangled trees, complete with root balls, lodged against the bridge in the center of the creek. All of this debris came together during this past summer's flooding after the tropical storm Lee. I wonder if it can ever be removed safely.

Thanks for joining us on our little jaunt to cure our cabin fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome here.